How can I reuse or recycle badges/pins?

We had a question on the ‘Suggest an Item’ page a while ago which I seem to have missed, so here it is. Sylvia asked:

How can I recycle old badges? plastic and metal.

Actually recycling them may be difficult as they tend to be mixed materials – metal and potentially multiple types of plastic but they’re perfect for passing on to someone else. A lot of people collect badges – doesn’t matter what’s on them or actually, the more obscure the better – so either offer them to a local charity/op shop or if you’ve got enough of them to make it worthwhile, offer them on your local Freecycle/Freegle or even eBay/Etsy/Folksy.

A question for badge makers – can old badges be recovered using badge making machine?

Any other ideas?

(Photo by Miss Frannington)

hobbies, household, items

88 Responses to “How can I reuse or recycle badges/pins?”

1. Lynsey says:

The badge machine I uses lots of force to push the two parts of the badge together – the back and the front. I have made mistakes before (with the image etc) and tried to get them apart to fix the problem and it can be done but you will ruin one side of the badge (normally the back). So unless you have lots of spare back bits it probably won’t be worth it to try and re – cover them. I’m speaking from the experience of a hobby badge machine though and not a professional one – you may get a different result with a proper machine!

2. Alice says:

Could just stick a sticker over them.

Cloth badges are really cool – maybe try glueing fabric on and stitching the edges around the back?

3. Kara says:

They can’t really be recovered with another badge machine, but they *can* be recovered with polymer clay or paper, fabric, and decoupage glue. They make good bases for multimedia brooches as well, especially the larger ones.

4. Retro pins and badges are all the rage for ’80s parties these days, so offer them for a sum to your email and Facebook contacts (a safer way of selling things online) and watch them get snapped up within hours. My friends and I have sold many things that way — post pics of books, CDs, sports gear, memorabilia etc on FB and create a special “Facebook Yard Sale” album.

5. h.elizabeth says:

Depending on the size, you could use some of them in place of thumb tacks / push pins on a bulletin board or something. I’ve done that occasionally to brighten up my office.

6. Stick a magnet on the back and make funky fridge magnets/decorations.
    Stick 2 together back to back (with a ribbon between them), repeat as neccessary and make a mobile with some bits of wire ot lollypop sticks.

7. Dee says:

the irony is I have seen tonnes of buttons for recycling and yet you can recycle or reuse them………..

8. Dee says:

the irony is I have seen tonnes of buttons for recycling and yet you CAN’T recycle or reuse them………..

9. luis chavez says:

please I just want to recycle a comersial walkin coolers.
    or let me know where can I recycle this thanks u.

10. Olia says:

Sell it as a shed.

11. Olia says:

About badges. Paint over them and frame in a tiny frame for a tiny art exhibition.

12. Uluska says:

Remove the pins from the back, if needed, and glue the badges over door knobs. Cute redesign!

13. Kool badges says:

We hand make lthousands of badges each month. Ours are made up of an aluminium disc which is recyclable and a copper pin which is also recyclable. The paper can be recycled. The only part which is questionable is the plastic sheet that covers the design. Some places may recycle it but I’m not sure where. We tend to run giveaways and offer our spare ones as free gifts so only need to recycle the damaged ones. If they have a copper d pin back they can be dismantled but will be damaged in the process.

14. Badge Destroyer says:

If you just have a few that you want to recycle, take a hobby knife and slash an X over the front. The plastic and paper covering is then easy to pull off and you can recycle each component, or reuse the metal base to make a new button.

15. Sunshine says:

Use them to darn socks. :)

16. Koby says:

I am not rattling fantastic with English but I get hold
    this very easygoing to translate.

17. I’d like to find out more? I’d care to find out more
    details.

18. Keep working ,splendid job!

19. Keto Black says:

Asking questions are in fact nice thing if you are
    not understanding something fully, however this post
    provides good understanding yet.

20. Hey, you used to write magnificent, but the last several posts have been kinda boring?
    I miss your super writings. Past several posts are just a bit out of track!

come on!

21. Thanks for helping out, fantastic information.

22. New Leaf CBD says:

I really like forgathering useful information, this post
    has got me even more info!

23. Touche. Outstanding arguments. Keep up the great spirit.

24. I don’t even know the way I ended up here, but I believed this post was great.
    I don’t understand who you are however definitely you are going to a famous
    blogger should you aren’t already. Cheers!

25. Jens says:

Very descriptive article, I liked that a lot. Will there be a part 2?

26. Really informative and great body structure of written content, now that’s user friendly (:.

27. cannabis says:

What Is CBD?

CBD, or cannabidiol, is the next most abundant
    element of the Cannabis sativa seed species. It’s one of over 100 phytocannabinoids that have
    been determined in cannabis and hemp plants.

Unlike THC, the main constituent in cannabis, cannabidiol
    will not induce intoxicating effects. This
    business lead scientists to originally believe that CBD was an inactive compound,
    but eventually, it was uncovered that CBD initiates multiple activities
    in the central anxious system and even comes with an influence on the consequences
    of THC.

CBD is gaining a great deal of attention recently because of its potential health advantages.

So how exactly does CBD make you feel? For one thing, it doesn’t make
    you feel high. Instead, it typically has calming and
    warming effects on the body. It is thought to connect to receptors throughout the body to keep the endocannabinoid system in balance.

This is what is believed to enable cannabidiol’s positive effects.

28. You are my inhalation, I have few blogs and often run out from post :).

29. Sertifikasi says:

Online studying can build capability for expertise integration and assist college districts meet the problem of
    offering efficient skilled development for teachers and administrators.

A assist desk is obtainable that college students and teachers can call
    five days per week is out there if they are having technical difficulties.
    For instance, in a median mixed capacity class, a teacher assigns a job which the majority of scholars ought to full at roughly the identical time.
    The central purpose of the initiative is to establish
    an efficient and sustainable model of online professional development that can help handle state-extensive instructor quality wants and have an impact on pupil achievement.
    Courses can be found for various professional audiences and include each
    introductory and extra advanced studying. Mississippi e-Learning for Educators
    gives high-quality, analysis-based mostly, on-line skilled
    growth facilitated by exemplary Mississippi educators.
    This is the weblog the place you may get the content
    which describes the open source development of PHP.

30. With all the pieces from planning and creative companies for supplemental multimedia course
    supplies, to photographic providers and technical implementation, we have now the expertise
    to make your High-Res eLearning program a resounding success.
    The SG Virtual Learning Centre offers a platform for Elearners to access their learning and
    evaluation materials, talk with their facilitator and fellow contributors, and to obtain feedback on their submitted
    work assignments. You’ll come away with tools and techniques that you can apply immediately at work
    for improved outcomes. With the LMS, it has never been easier to assign, administer
    and doc the outcomes of your worker coaching, and it can be achieved from nearly any location around the world.

When looking for online coaching, look for a corporation that
    provides training from a variety of consultants, not just one or two
    individuals doing all the coaching. The Office of eLearning team is targeted on connecting learners to one another and
    to nice concepts for technology-infused classrooms, supporting new studying models for colleges, and providing
    leadership in digital innovation for Indiana.

31. keto diet says:

30 below is way to much freash air LOL !!

32. Yes!! There are SO many reasons ‘why keto’, it was hard
    to come up with a quick reply! :)

33. @TimetoShrink it’s funny because when I had my VSG I felt like time flew by and I was
    eating normally in no time. This time around I feel like it’s taking forever.

☹️

34. Chia seeds! 1 ounce has 9.8 g of fiber and 2.1 g net carbs.
    That is better than Metamucil. It also has omega 3s. Drink more water.
    Walk.

35. ketoacidosis says:

Hi am Ghousia from India…. Ur articles are
    really helpful… Can i just use couple drops of Stevia drops
    in my coffee… Just once in day

36. Heather says:

Its fantastic as your other articles :D, regards for putting up.

37. Hi would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re utilizing?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers and I must say this blog
    loads a lot quicker then most. Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a fair price?
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

38. Energia economisită prin reciclarea unei singure sticle de
    plastic

39. Appreciate the recommendation. Let me try it out.

40. Google says:

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a couple of unrelated data, nevertheless seriously really worth taking a look, whoa did a single discover about Mid East has got more problerms also.

41. I’d like to find out more? I’d love to find out some additional information.

42. Google says:

Always a major fan of linking to bloggers that I appreciate but do not get a lot of link like from.

43. Orville says:

This info is invaluable. How can I find out more?

44. cu securitate. Blistere

45. Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is awesome, great
    written and come with almost all vital infos. I would like to see
    more posts like this .

46. The best gift – a distinct and fun present for for loved ones.
    Whether you’re attempting to score a little extra rest at a flight terminal lounge or wanting to
    capture a little slumber with a residence loaded with young people, earplugs can be
    your finest close friends. Among the major factors why lots of people
    choose these over foam earplugs is that these do not need to be
    positioned deep right into the ear canal to work
    as these kind a seal over the ear opening. They need a source of power (a single AAA battery in one earphone or more
    batteries in an external instance). As for fielding phone
    calls, either earpiece can be utilized to answer in mono, which isn’t always the instance.
    IPX4 implies the earphones can manage sweat and light dashes, yet you should not submerge them or wash them
    off in the sink. Armed with Bluetooth connection, all it takes is a tap
    on your mobile phone to shut your blinds as well as shut out all the stray light.

Reaching over 33 feet of connection, this function on the
    set delivers constant audio away from the device it is being utilized
    with as well as without static or discolor.

Ex-Nokia designers have actually developed an advanced pair of earphones that can obstruct out
    audio irritabilities with a regularity below 500 Hz, something they declare typical earbuds can’t
    muffle.

47. In this game, you’ll act as a fisher and have a deep-ocean experience catching magnificent species of fish.
    Manta Ray, Gold shark, that only appears in legend are
    swimming in your hand now. Catch them and they will give you substantial award.

Touch your phone to indicate the direction of shooting; your
    fish cannon will fire net to catch fish on its way.
    You will have chance to catch all the fish within the diameter and
    you will be rewarded with coins. Each net you fire
    will cost you corresponding coins.

Game includes:
    (1) 12 varieties of colorful sea creatures
    (2) 10 different Levels of Cannons and Nets
    (3) 1 Super Deep-sea torpedo
    (4) Latest technology in graphics, music and
    sound effects

Thanks for playing and rating game have fun and relax with Best Jewel Quest US !

48. Great delivery. Solid arguments. Keep up the good effort.

49. This information is worth everyone’s attention. How can I find out
    more?

50. A motivating discussion is definitely worth
    comment. I think that you need to write more on this issue, it may not be a taboo
    subject but generally people don’t speak
    about these topics. To the next! All the best!!