How can I reuse or recycle … old dentures?

DenturesWe’ve had an email from Diana Meyrick-Thomas asking if there are any recycling schemes for false teeth – anyone got any ideas? Are there any groups collecting them for redistribution overseas?

And what about reuses? As a veteran humourologist, I’d be tempted to make them into gag items for around the home (bottle opener? cookie cutter? biting doorbell cover?) but has anyone else got any more sensible suggestions?

(Photo by Fugue)

household, items

279 Responses to “How can I reuse or recycle … old dentures?”

1. Cindy says:

I should have specified – they are my husband’s old dentures. Probably not appropriate for a woman’s smaller frame. Sorry. Best of luck to you!

2. Cheryl says:

Looking for full sets of dentures if anyone has any

• Mary says:

What do you want with full sets of dentures? I have a very nice set.

• Anonymous says:

I have 3 sets

• Cheryl says:

I’m trying to find a way to re use old dentures to make new ones for people that can’t afford them. I know they say it’s not possible but I think there might be a way.

• Crystal Vest says:

I am looking for a set of dentures that are not being used just for teaching purposes for students at our hospital. I would love to have a pair or 2. Could you e-mail me back and let me know cost.

Crystal Vest, RN

• Anonymous says:

I have an old set of dentures, upper and lower I’d give anyone, but I can’t afford to send them…

• Judi Fraser says:

Hi Cheryl – Are you still needing dentures and what are they for? Judi

3. Carol says:

I have 3 sets

4. Cheryl says:

I meant this as a reply to everyone, I’m trying to find a way to re use old dentures to make new ones for people that can’t afford them

• Sherry says:

I have a set of dentures that are made to use with the posts in the lower denture. They could be used as regular dentures. I’d be happy to donate them to someone who will use them for other people to have teeth.

• Anonymous says:

Are you wanting false teeth…my mother has a partial plate, hardly worn ….can you do anything with them ?

• Chris says:

Hi Cheryl

My Dad just passed away and my Mum being ever resourceful tries to find a way to recycle and reuse, she asked if Dads dentures could be reused. I said I would ask Google and found you :)

I’m sure you will be inundated with donations but for Mum’s sake I’m asking if you would like them. Mum is 89 and went through WW2 as a child where she had very little and she wastes nothing!

5. Sally-Ann Cottham says:

To Cheryl – Please email me (scottham1@live.co.uk) if you want me to send you an unwanted pair of false teeth. I think it’s great that you’re thinking of a way to recycle them as they were expensive when they were made privately so would be glad that they can be re-used! Thanks, Sally x

6. Kathy marsh says:

I have a set I will donate. Let me know .

7. Jackie Grey says:

I have a set of dentures which I would be willing to donate to your project. Where can I send them?
    Good luck with the new venture.

8. You can also bring your old iPod to an Apple Store and get 10 percent off a new one. Does not apply to iPod shuffle.

9. Deb says:

Can dentures be donated?
    There are organizations that may take dentures as a donation, even if they do not explicitly state that they do. … The Japan Dentures Recycling Foundation is a nonprofit affiliated with UNICEF. It also accepts monetary donations

I’m looking for the same reasons – have come across the above as well as your post. Will be looking into it. Good luck to you.

10. Mike Esparza says:

I’m in need of a set of dentures. Just really need to know can they be refitted to fit me. I can’t afford a new set. I’m in the retail business and I’m embarrassed to speak or laugh in public. Any assistance would be appreciated. So basically in need of dentures and info on how to refit them. Thank you in advance.

• Sandra says:

My dad just recently passed away. I have his dentures. The bottom dentures are brand new just got them 1 month before he passed. Uppers he has had for a while. I don’t know how you can get them refitted but you are welcome to them if you want to try.

I also have his eyeglasses.

11. Cheryl says:

Please email me if you have any that you want to donate (shardy26@hotmail.ca)

12. Cheryl says:

soo sorry, I put up the wrong email it should say (shardy36@hotmail.ca)

13. Treasa says:

I have 2 sets from my aunt that I would love to give to anyone who could use or donate to any type of research

14. Marilyn says:

Hello,
    I am a nursing assistant instructor in need of dentures to use to demonstrate for my students. If you have an old pair or new pair that is no longer needed and are willing to donate them to our school, please email me.

Thanks,
    Marilyn

15. Elizabeth says:

My husband just recently passed October 18th of 2017 and we just got his dentures they’re just soft line they still need to be hard lined so there are still prettyg New he’s had them for a year but like I said we’ve been getting them reline and now they were due for Hardline but he passed away so if you need them for donation I’ll be glad to donate them to you to just let me know where I can send them and I will gladly mail them to you thank you so much I wanted to find a new use for them and hope you can help me so just let me know where to send them and I will have them in the mail thank you so much

16. Gale says:

My mother has recently passed, and we have some dentures to donate if someone has a use for them.

17. Marcia says:

Hi. How are you doing? Do you still have the dentures? I need a full set of dentures but I cant do it right now, dentures can be relined to fit other person, if you can donate me I can have my smile back. Thank you very much.

• Elizabeth Banks says:

If you leave me an address, I will send you the ones I have. They were my mothers. She had a smallish mouth, if that works.

18. Frances B says:

Marilyn, I have a set I can donate for your class. Let me know where to send.Frances B

19. Peg D says:

I have a set to donate from my recently deceased dad. Please send me an address. These represent a sizable investment and I’d love to see them put to some good use.

20. Jan Hale says:

Can you tell me what happens to dentures when you recycle them. I have my mums but would like them to go to a good cause, not for bottle tops.

• Terri Riley says:

Jan,
      I have fallen on hard times and going to the dentist is out of the question. My front tooth has broken off and I don’t want to leave the house. I would appreciate if you still have your mum’s set of dentures that you could donate to me. I would love to be able to smile again. Thank you, thank you, thank you for thinking of me.

21. Crystal Vest says:

If someone still has any dentures they would like to donate I can use them for a nursing class I am teaching and could really use and it would be really appreciated.

Crystal Vest, RN