How can I reuse or recycle … old dentures?

DenturesWe’ve had an email from Diana Meyrick-Thomas asking if there are any recycling schemes for false teeth – anyone got any ideas? Are there any groups collecting them for redistribution overseas?

And what about reuses? As a veteran humourologist, I’d be tempted to make them into gag items for around the home (bottle opener? cookie cutter? biting doorbell cover?) but has anyone else got any more sensible suggestions?

(Photo by Fugue)

household, items

117 Responses to “How can I reuse or recycle … old dentures?”

1. Dona says:

My husband died in January 2013, he had a full set of dentures I will donate. If anyone wants them, please email me at: donaandsteve@sbcglobal.net,
    and put DENTURES in the subject line. Thanks!

• Anonymous says:

Sorry about your loss.
      My old dentures don’t fit anymore and what happens is that they make a whole new set or repair if possible.

• Kirsty says:

Sorry to hear of your loss.
      I lost my Mother last year and have a very large amount of her old dentures.
      Did anyone come up with where they could be reused? It seems an awful waste to just dump them!
      Kind regards
      Kirsty

2. Jennifer says:

Hi, I would love to make use of unwanted dentures – my email address is j.cardno@hotmail.com – if you want to donate dentures for me to use in my work, please send me an email and I’ll give you my address. I posted on here a few years ago and quite regularly receive dentures that people cannot make use of. Many thanks.

3. Fiona says:

Sorry to hear of your loss, My Mum died in January this year also and I was only talking to my Dad this evening saying that I’m sure dentures can be recycled. It’s good to know that such expensive dentures will be able to be reused.
    Thanks
    Fiona

4. Penny Philpott says:

I’m doing an artwork incorporating used false teeth. I have been collecting them from my relatives for a few decades and they do create a conundrum, as they’re not the sort of thing you throw away, but by the same token, they are interesting, and very varied. If anyone would like to pass on any used dentures, please send me an email.
    Penny

• David says:

Hi Penny,
      I have a small box of “no-longer-needed” false teeth. Probably about 6 or 7 pieces and a set of plaster mouldings of an upper and lower.
      I a tried to donate them to another artist but get no reply.
      If you provide an address I can send them.

• Carol Roberts says:

Hi penney i have a family member that has 2 sets of dentures of her husbands that passed away and she is looking to find a place for them instead of throwing away. if interested please let me know and we can send to you. I’m a activity director here at a long term care facility. Thanks carol

5. sylvia turner says:

i have some old dentures if they are any use to anyone would love it if they could be recycled thanks sylvia

6. April says:

We are in desperate need of a few sets of dentures to teach oral care classes to our caregivers. If anyone has any, please email me.

April
    azylstra@ccssite.org

• Connie says:

I have 2 pair of dentures in excellent condition. Please send me your physical address if you use them. Thanks, Connie

7. Karen Callahan says:

I am a nurse and teach certified nursing assistant (CNA) and certified medical assistant (CMA) courses in a unique high school program and to adults at a non-profit tech school.

Dentures are very hard to find used and reasonably priced as a teaching for students.

If you have dentures that could be donated for students to learn to care for patients I would appreciate it.

• Andi says:

Karen, post your email address or mailing address. I have at least 1 set for you. Your program is exactly where I want them to go!

• Helen Dean says:

Hi Karen

I have a couple of sets of dentures that belonged to my dear mum and I can’t bear to throw them away. Are you still wanting them and if so, could you please give me your address?

Thanks

Helen

• Connie says:

I have 2 sets of dentures in perfect condition. I can donate them to you, if you send me your address. Thank you
      Connie

• Sue says:

Karen,
      Never heard from you. Please send or post info of where you would like them sent.

• Myra Hawkins-Ambler says:

Karen, do you want any partial dentures. I have just found 5 lots in a drawer I was emptying. Myra.

• Sue Darling says:

I have a bottom part denture + plastic container, good condition – short term use only. Please send address if you’re interested. Hate to throw usable/useful things away!

• Rosemary Warren says:

Please let me know if you still need dentures , i have at least two sets of my late parents’ which I would like to donate

Thanks

• Emily says:

I have a nursing assistant school and we could really use dentures! Please send me your email and I will give you my address.
        Emily

8. Sue says:

Karen, please forward where and any instructions of how you would like them packaged and I will send them to you.

9. Helen Dean says:

Sorry Karen, I’m not sure if my last e-mail was sent. It’s just that I have a couple of sets of dentures and would like you to have them – could you let me have your address please?

Thanks

Helen

10. Peter says:

We also have a couple of pairs of dentures if they are of use to anyone for teaching. If so then please send details and an address to the address below
    Peter
    ewormington@btinternet.com

11. Treasa Lee says:

I found a place that takes them, Office of Aging, Gosh’d, P O Box 51650, Knoxville, TN 51650-1650