How can I reuse or recycle disposable lighters?

LighterSo we’ve covered cigarette packets and ashtrays but what about the related flame devices?

I realise the most obvious answer to this – like with disposable razors – is don’t use them – use a refillable one instead. But, for one reason or another, a lot of people can’t/won’t do that so end using disposable ones.

So what can be done with them?

Assuming it can be separated from the metal mechanism, can the plastic be recycled? Anyone know what number it is or does it vary?

And what about the mechanism itself – any reuses for that? Or the lighter as a whole?

(Photo by pulp-o)

hobbies, household, items

51 Responses to “How can I reuse or recycle disposable lighters?”

1. mercutiom says:

This is a tough one, because while I know some of the individual pieces may be recyclable, there are parts (like the flint) that I’m not sure of. You can actually refill the whole thing and use is again, but it’s difficult and you waste a lot of fuel if you don’t know what you’re doing. I think this is one of those areas where there should be a push on the production companies to reuse the product to ensure it is recycled properly.

2. Andy says:

When I was a Scout, we re-used the flints within the mechamism, by gluing several to a small piece of wood and a used a snapped section of hack saw blade to make your own fire lighter.
    By striking the blade across the flints, you create enough spark to light kindling.

3. allen says:

They make a pretty good target for shooting practice!

4. c5 says:

play with them just like when you line up dominoes to form a design when the first one is triggered to fall.

5. Phil says:

theres probably quite a few things you can do w/ em. i found they make a nice lampshade. after they are completely dead of course.

sorry the pix are crappy, but you get the idea.

6. evan davies says:

take the flint out either heat it up and and chuck it on the floor it makes loads of sparks or put it in a reusable lighter when the flint runs out

7. chris says:

not buy them and get a zippo zippos rock they last forever and are made in bradford pa still

but how do you refill a butane disposable i just got an electric igniter one?

8. Needy McCoy says:

hey can you send me a message on how to properly dispose of butane lighters, and if you can not recycle them then how are they hurtful if you do dispose of them by recycling them.
    Needy McCoy

9. Javier says:

You can use it to make a nice art composition.

10. Johnny Sachs says:

Take off the shiny bit, carefully take off the wheel and collect the flint. Stretch out the spring so it can hold the flint then heat it up with a second lighter and get a friend to flick it creating a nice fireworks.

Then you just throw the plastic lighter case on the ground hard, and if there is pressure left it should pop with a pleasing bang

11. Selvyn Mario Quijada says:

I actually refill lighters for a living(part time.).i charge $.50 to refill a lightl
    Er. Some gas stations sell lighters for a $1.50. Some have favorite lighters.
    I hate seeing good lighters on the side just because they ran out of butane.
    Im just doing my part for the planet and economy.lol. 323 243 0777.

12. gerry says:

RECYCLING BIC LIGHTERS – EXPERTS CLAIM THEY ARE HAZARDOUS HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS AND CAN’T BE RECYCLED- I called BIC to find out the best way to recycle a Bic lighter and they told me it can’t be recycled and to throw them in the garbage but further research with disposal experts say that there are metals in the lighter that would contaminate ground water and that under no circumstances should they be disposed of in the garbage and that they should be treated as hazardous household product and be brought to collection centers with unused paints, chemicals and batteries etc. I find it disturbing that Bic recommends putting them in the garbage!

13. DQ Rahmonez says:

Here’s my links about to upcyle the disposable gas lighter. N this is one of idea from some of my ideas
    thanx

14. Selvyn Mario Quijada says:

Matches are better than butane gas lighters and are free people. Stop smoking this and that, it affects your body badly.

15. Im obliged for the blog post.Really thank you! Will read on…

16. Every after in a even though we opt for blogs that we study. Listed beneath would be the latest web pages that we opt for

17. This reminds me of the other comment I was seeing

18. This page seems like the other page I was seeing

19. Explore electronic resources for free, thousands of eBooks, accounting eBooks, business eBooks, Marketing eBooks, Accounting eBooks, Banking eBooks, Design eBooks, Customers eBooks, Travel and Tourism eBooks and more

20. This makes me think of the other comment I found

21. Les Simonsen says:

Alex9, this message is your next piece of information. Please contact the agency at your earliest convenience. No further information until next transmission. This is broadcast #6017. Do not delete.

22. always a big fan of linking to bloggers that I really like but dont get a great deal of link really like from

23. The information and facts talked about in the report are a number of the best obtainable

24. Every the moment inside a even though we choose blogs that we study. Listed below are the most recent web pages that we pick

25. The information mentioned within the write-up are a number of the most beneficial obtainable

26. Eweka says:

The facts talked about within the post are a number of the ideal out there

27. here are some links to web pages that we link to since we consider they’re worth visiting

28. Save The OA says:

I’m asking you to imagine that reality is stranger and more complicated than you or I could possibly know. And sometimes we get glimpses of it, in dreams or in déjà vu. #TheOA needs your help. #SaveTheOA

29. Save The OA says:

Thats what an angel is. Dust pressed into a diamond by the weight of this world. #TheOA needs your help. #SaveTheOA

30. Wilton says:

Thanks I needed this

31. always a large fan of linking to bloggers that I really like but do not get lots of link love from

32. king pen says:

The information mentioned in the report are a number of the ideal readily available

33. Dankvapes says:

here are some links to web pages that we link to mainly because we assume they may be worth visiting

34. IPX 368 says:

we came across a cool web page which you may delight in. Take a look in the event you want

35. Just checking in… andI {wanted|needed|decided| to drop a note because recently I noticed a webpage talking about something nearly the same.The information wasamazing I admit.

36. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine several unrelated data, nevertheless genuinely worth taking a appear, whoa did one particular understand about Mid East has got far more problerms too

37. CESD 812 says:

always a big fan of linking to bloggers that I really like but really don’t get a whole lot of link like from

38. sewa led says:

Every after inside a even though we select blogs that we study. Listed below would be the newest web pages that we select

39. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a handful of unrelated data, nonetheless actually worth taking a appear, whoa did one learn about Mid East has got far more problerms at the same time

40. Every after in a when we pick out blogs that we study. Listed beneath are the most recent web pages that we pick

41. WANZ 893 says:

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a number of unrelated information, nonetheless genuinely really worth taking a search, whoa did 1 study about Mid East has got a lot more problerms at the same time

42. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a few unrelated data, nonetheless really really worth taking a search, whoa did 1 understand about Mid East has got additional problerms too

43. that will be the end of this article. Here youll obtain some web pages that we think you will appreciate, just click the links over

44. liteblue says:

below youll discover the link to some web pages that we consider it is best to visit

45. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a number of unrelated information, nevertheless actually really worth taking a appear, whoa did 1 understand about Mid East has got a lot more problerms also

46. tattoos says:

Every as soon as in a whilst we pick out blogs that we study. Listed below would be the latest web pages that we decide on

47. always a huge fan of linking to bloggers that I like but really don’t get quite a bit of link appreciate from

48. always a massive fan of linking to bloggers that I love but do not get lots of link really like from