How can I reuse or recycle old photographic slides?

We’ve had an email from Karen, asking:

Do you have any suggestions on how I can recycle 35mm slides in wallets?

I suspect that on a crafty level, they could be used in similar ways to photo negatives and the like but as Karen is a Environment & Waste Management Officer at a university, I suspect she might have more than can easily be reused – so does anyone know if there are any ways to actually recycle them?

Any other slide-centric reuse suggestions?

(Photo by Hutschi)

household, items, technology

210 Responses to “How can I reuse or recycle old photographic slides?”

1. Carol says:

Help! Boxes and boxes of family slides and slides of trips in Midwest. Most in carousels. Hate to dump, but no one in family wants them.

• Steve Munger says:

Hello there. Do you still have the slides? I live collecting old slides, they are fine capsules to me and helps a person to continue to live. My contact number is 941-592-4149. I’ll pay shipping costs. Thanx.

2. Rita says:

Hi,

Have a few hundred slides of plants, some travel in England. Plants are in BC, Canada.

Can anyone use them?

• Kevin Wood says:

Hello Rita

Yes, I’d love to have your slides, please.
      I digitize them but still keep them after.

Can pay for postage and packaging, it would be via PayPal, if you have an account. I live in Derby, England.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regrds.
      Kevin

3. Carol Hodge says:

Just went through about 10 carousel trays of old slides. Picked out a few to digitize, but would like to find a home for the discards.

4. Kevin Wood says:

Hello Carol

Yes, I’d love to have your slides that you’ve discarded ones, please.
    I also digitize them but still keep them after.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regrds.