How can I reuse or recycle … water filter cartridges?

A glass of waterWe’ve had an email from Hannah Phillips asking if anyone has any ideas on how to recycle old water filter cartridges.

Hannah started using water filters because she thought it would be less wasteful than buying bottled water – less plastic etc – but now has the cartridges to dispose of instead.

Brita brand filters (which seem to be one of the most prominent in the UK as far as I’ve seen) say all their cartridges can be recycled but what about other brands?

And how about reusing them rather than sending them in for recycling?

(Photo by jan-willem)

household, items, kitchen

83 Responses to “How can I reuse or recycle … water filter cartridges?”

1. great article. I liked the way you define it. I also encourage people to reuse everything as much as you can. Recycling is the best thing to save our planet.

2. Alexa Bartel says:

Do I need to take them to a certain place to recycle them or do I just recycle them along with other plastics?

3. Eric Zerin says:

Our first one is still working great after 3 years!
    Just made another one and drilled a tiny pin hole
    In the top of each lid to equalize air pressure in both buckets. Also attached 3″ clear drip tube to accelerate the dripping process. It works!

4. Joanne Coffin says:

What about bagging up the activated charcoal in a used up filter in a cloth bag and using as a car air freshener or a drawer freshener? Is this a possibility?

5. Asif says:

we are using Aqua Clear filter cartridge A40A-1A for our waste water RO plant in Pakistan , KARACHI, and want to recycle / reuse these cartridges. if any one knows about disposal process please inform me.

6. Heather Charnley says:

It would be even better if the manufacturers made the cartridges so that they could be opened and the contents disposed of, and then we could buy replacement infill and then the plastic wouldn’t need to be disposed of quite so frequently if at all. How about it manufacturers?!!

7. Hy very good article thanks for sharing keep up the good work!

8. This seems like the other page here I saw

9. Just dropping by… andI {wanted|needed|decided| to post because this morning I discovered a wiki mentioning something virtually the same.The coincidence wasfascinating I admit.

10. go here says:

Good job for bringing something important to the internet!

11. Michael says:

This post is old but it is still relevant.

12. Google says:

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine some unrelated information, nevertheless seriously worth taking a appear, whoa did a single discover about Mid East has got additional problerms too.

13. Barbara Ramo says:

I intended to create you a little word to help say thanks a lot yet again about the precious information you have shared in this case. This is simply seriously generous with people like you to offer without restraint exactly what numerous people might have made available for an electronic book to earn some bucks for their own end, even more so seeing that you could possibly have tried it in case you decided. Those advice in addition acted to become great way to recognize that most people have a similar dream just as my very own to learn much more when considering this condition. I believe there are several more pleasurable periods up front for individuals who find out your blog.

14. Hairstyles says:

There may be noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made certain good factors in features also.

15. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a handful of unrelated data, nonetheless genuinely worth taking a appear, whoa did one study about Mid East has got much more problerms too

16. always a huge fan of linking to bloggers that I like but really don’t get quite a bit of link like from

17. always a huge fan of linking to bloggers that I like but do not get a good deal of link like from

18. The facts talked about within the post are a number of the top accessible

19. The facts mentioned inside the report are several of the most effective obtainable