Recycling for Charity: old mobile or cell phones

This page lists charities and other organisations collecting old mobile phones (also known as cell phones).

If any details are incorrect or you know of any other groups collecting them, please leave a comment below and I’ll update the listings.

Who wants it Why Country Contact details
Oxfam For refurbishment and use overseas or recycled for cash UK

Oxfam Recycle Scheme
Freepost LON16281
London
WC1N 3BR

Freepost bags can also be sent out or you can drop them off at Oxfam charity shops.

Children in Need For refurbishment and use overseas or recycled for cash. Over £100,000 has already been raised for the charity through the donation of old phones. UK

Freepost
BBC Children in Need

(from within the UK only)

42 Responses to “Recycling for Charity: old mobile or cell phones”

1. Karen Naya says:

Hi there. Just to say that the charity Refuge also have a mobile phone re-cycling arrangement.

I’m about to donate through this route. Apparently Refuge will receive £3.50 for every phone sent (Freepost) to their recycling partner, regardless of condition. Old phones are reformatted for use in developing countries.

Like the site – hope this info is helpful.
    Regards, Karen.

• robin stallard says:

hi
      I have 4 mobile phones I would like to donate to your charity. do you provide pre-paid envelopes

///??

2. Heike Costin says:

pls let me know where to send my 2 Motorola Razr mobile phones pls the chargers etc,.

Do you provide a pre-paid envelope?

Ta, Heike

3. This is a great cause to take part in, as you help many people with your old mobile phones, Just one phone can raise about £20 and that can be a really old obsolete phone whilst a new smartphone can be about £250 so that can be a lot of money going to a charity.

4. Jean-Pierre says:

Hi ,
    We are a UK based charity and are looking to raise money for an orphanage project in war torn Ivory coast . We will be pleased to receive old and unwanted mobile phones for recycling to fund the project .
    Would you be able to help?

• Jacqueline M Ryder says:

Hello Jean-Pierre
      I have 4 of our old mobile phones which I would like to donate to your orphanage project in the Ivory coast. If you are still collecting them and/or think that they can be of use then please let me know. Is there any chance of sending a Freepost envelope and I assume that you would want the mobile chargers to be included.
      Thanks
      Jacky & Paul

5. Hi – just to let you know that we also collect mobile phones for recycling. All proceeds are used to fund research into Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.

You can send to The BRACE Appeal office, Frenchay Hospital, Bristol BS16 1LE. Just the telephone. The cables/chargers etc are not needed.

I am afraid we are unable to provide freepost envelopes but we are looking to get these from a recycling company and will repost if and when we get them.

With thanks

6. Jean-Pierre says:

Much appreciated . How Chris ?

7. An update to our previous posting. We now have freepost envelopes for recycling mobile phones to help in the fight against Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. Please contact the BRACE Appeal office, Frenchay Hospital, Bristol BS16 1LE or email lynda@alzheimers-brace.org. Thank you

8. Sylvia Gunter says:

My sister has 6 mobile phones to donate do you provide free post envelopes how can we get them to you?
    martincl@fsmail.net

9. Madeline Goodman says:

I have one old mobile phone to donate. My address is Paddocks, Galley Lane, Brighstone, Isle of Wight PO30 4BT. I would be grateful to receive a Freepost envelope.
    Many thanks.
    Madeline

10. JJ Foreman says:

I have one old mobile phone to donate (Sony Ericsson K300). My address is 10 Vicarage Lane, Oxford OX1 4RQ. I would be grateful to receive a Freepost envelope.
    Many thanks.

11. Diana Child says:

I have 3 old mobile phones which I would like to donate so could you send freepost envelopes to me at this address:-
    69 Homefield Ave, Arnold,Nottingham, NG5 8FZ.

12. Hi everyone – please email the BRACE appeal office for your freepost envelopes. lynda@alzheimers-brace.org. Thank you

13. Morag Campbell says:

I have 3 old mobile phones.please forward free post envelope to
    Flat l
    5 Belmont road
    Broad stairs
    Kent CT10 1LA

14. John Lynch says:

I have several cell phones in good working order. Are there any charitable organizations in the Hamilton, Ontario, Canada area who want old cell phones?

15. Andy Porter says:

I have several old mobiles I would like to donate but I am worried about identity theft. None of them work any more so I cant clear them of personal data ….is there any advice about this?

16. Mrs M Davies says:

I would like to donate two mobile phones to BRACE-Alzheimer’s Research. Can you help?

17. Gillian Smith says:

I would like to donate my old mobile phone to charity can you help please. Thank you

18. Gillian Smith says:

I wish to donate my old phone to charity my address is

199 St Nicolas Park Drive, Nuneaton Warwickshire CV11 6EH

19. hayley says:

hi i have two old mobile phones if you would like them also may have more if i look in old stuff let me know thanks

20. TRUDI GEE says:

I have 3 mobile phones that I would like to donate to you if you are still collecting them,do you have free post envelopes? And how do I get them.

21. Aimée Williams says:

Hi,

I have an old (i.e. non-smart phone) samsung phone someone is welcome to have. I should still have the charger to it somewhere. The battery pack is shot though…

I was looking for something to do with it, it seems such a waste chucking it, even if someone just extracts some of the materials from it to reuse.

If you give an email I’ll send you my address for a freepost envelope, if you are interseted, or just send it to where-ever without.

Thanks.

22. I collect old mobile phones for Cancer Research UK, if you’d like to donate a mobile phone, no matter how new, old or even obsolete it is, your donation will be much appreciated. To find out how to donate and for more information please click on my link.

The webpage link is http://www.justgiving.com/phoneforacure

• Mrs Susan Smith says:

I have 3 good condition mobiles all Nokia, and would like to donate to cancer Research, we lost our Son 2years ago age 44 years from cancer, can you let me know where to take or send them.
      I live in Wednesbury in the West Midlands,

• Mike Oakes says:

Hello Stephen, I tried to send a disused mobile to Just Giving but the link you gave is no longer active. Do you have another link that I can use?

23. Ruth Rooksby says:

Hi there
    Our regestered charity is collecting mobile phones as Mercedes and Dixons have offered us a new lorry if we can gather 4000 mobiles – dead or alive! Big challenge but not unsurmountable? We need a lorry to help with our providing computers and IT equipment to charities both here in the UK and abroad. Thanks

you can send any donations to
    ComputersforCharities
    Cemetery Lodge
    Ersham Road
    Hailsham
    BN27 3LJ

24. Y.Notdoitkindly says:

Many medical charities use your donations to fund unnecessary animal experiments……. one of the charities successfully using funds for alternatives to animal torture are:

here is a list of charities that do and do not fund animal testing…