Suggest an item

Do you have something to reuse or recycle but you just don’t know what to do with it? AND we haven’t had the decency to feature said thing on “How can I recycle this?” yet? Gosh, we’re terrible, aren’t we?

You can either leave a message in the comments section below or send us an email if you have any ideas. You can include a picture too if you’ve got one to hand. We’ll give you a thank you nod when we make the post and you’ll, hopefully, get lots of ideas about what to do with your item.

Email us at: items@recyclethis.co.uk

If you want to make something reusing or recycling things (for example, how to make a piggy bank, or a shopping bag, or jewellery), or repair something, or reduce your use of something, we’d also love to hear from you. Again,

Email us at: items@recyclethis.co.uk

Or have you reused or recycled something in an interesting, clever or creative way and want to show it off, but can’t wait until we get around to featuring that item? Just tell us what you did and send a photo if you can, and we’ll feature it on the site when we can.

Email your ideas to: clever@recyclethis.co.uk

279 Responses to “Suggest an item”

1. Kate Cowan says:

I’ve saved ringpulls for years and given to various people who had use for them. I gave mega amounts of ring pulls(via friends collecting) to a youngsters family. Seems if he got his weight in them he got a new wheelchair. Now he has enough. I can’t stop collecting, and still getting from others. Does anyone know of someone or a charity who could take them in Lanarkshire. I’d be grateful to know. Thanks in anticipation.

2. Scarlett w says:

I started wondering what i could do with empty toilet paper roles, i sometimes make puppets and bracelets and stuff.

3. Pam says:

First I’d like to say I just recently found this website and just love it. I recycle broken dishes into mosaic pots, birdbaths, birdhouses and more. If anyone would like to send me their broken dishes, should they have the misfortune to experience, I would appreciate it. Plates preferably but can use other things too, especially it it is vintage. Don’t mean to be picky but please no white either. I have tons of it already. But any colors print or plain can be used and greatly appreciated. I live it California, USA.

4. sarah says:

Any creative suggestions on re-using gu glass ramekins? I have accumulated loads of them.

• We had someone in our “de-junk, re-junk” exhibition last year who took fabric samples and raffia and made them into pot pourri pots, as inspiration to get the public to have a got at creative recycling.

• sarah says:

I have accumulated oodles of these. A friends daughter is using them at her wedding. They will go on each place setting containing a keepsake and wee flower.

5. JASON WILLIAMS says:

LEATHER BOMBER JACKET :
    HOW DO YOU RECYCLE A LEATHER BOMBER JACKET ?
    Its knit waistband and cuffs are frayed and unraveling . .
    Its lining is torn and its zipper has lost teeth and doesn’t
    function anymore . Its leather and fur collar are like new . . .
    but I don’t want to pay for expensive restoration . . . A luggage
    repairman told me to “cut off its leather and be done with it” . . .
    It looks like a time consuming job . . . how do you go
    about this ? Where do you start ? More importantly , what do
    you use its leather for ? Any suggestions of what can be made
    out of it ?
    signed
    READY TO RECYCLE

• E. Raynor says:

I’d suggest a throw pillow made from the leather. Cut it away from the cuffs and such and use the leather to make a great pillow. You could cut the pieces into a triangular design for the front of the pillow, and use the back in one large square for the reverse. Or, if you have no desire for such an item, donate it to a local theatre group. With the worn interior cut away it will be cooler under the lights on stage, and it won’t need a working zipper to look correct on a character.

6. Sam says:

Hello,

I play at a badminton club where they insist on using feathered shuttlecocks (though not real feathers – it’s all synthetic material). We get through about two tubes’ worth every week, after which they are thrown away! Incredibly wasteful, but people don’t want to change to anything more durable. Any ideas about a way of recycling them or tackling this problem?

Thanks!

7. Nicole says:

How to recycle wooden scrabble tile holders

8. Uluska says:

I was always wondering what to do with deodorant little plastic cover that is found under the lid, before one uses the deodorant. Then I cut out same shape piece of foam, oval, glued it inside the plastic cover and it holds my needles. Also, the foam can be cut with oval base but with some shape on another side: flower, bird, geometric figure. That way it can be used as a stamp for crafts or house decoration.

9. zserb says:

Hi?
    My question is: How can I reuse or recycle broken vegetable peelers?
    We use the Y-shaped type, with a plastic handle, and a horizontal metal (stainless steel, maybe?) blade, and there’s an ah-so-small… thingy (wart? spline? snag? nipple? I don’t even know the word for that in my own language!) that stops the blade from rotating. And (of course) this small, (seemingly) unreplaceable part is the one that brakes first, leaving us with a blade that turns over (and over and over and over and over and…) with every try of usage. I know I should reduce first, and that’s what I will do, buy one made of stainless steel as a whole, but I’d really like to know if there are ways to replace the little…. button, or the handle, or what I can do with all the peelers we’ve cumulated over the years, or whether I can reuse something else to make a homemade handle.
    Thanks!

10. butterscotch says:

wondering what has happened? no posts since last October 2012? I love this site as it provides so many good options to reuse/reduce/recycle…

• louisa says:

Hi butterscotch, what happened is that I got involved with another project offline and it sucked up all my time/energy. Boo. That’s coming to an end in a couple of months though and I have plans to relaunch Recycle This – make it easier to find stuff/contribute and, most importantly, add more things to the database! Basically, watch this space!

-louisa :)

11. Eddie says:

I have been recycling quite a few things over the years and love making new furniture or decorations for the house out of pre-loved objects.
    One of my favorite projects must be the cake stands: http://www.roued.com/cake-stand-from-amboise/
    Made out of old beautiful plates and glasses.
    I also do a lot of refashioning through re-sewing and re-knitting different items.

Eddie

Eddie’s Room on Facebook come over for some crafty ideas and conversation.

12. Robert French says:

How/where can I recycle shredded paper. Our Council – Wandsworth -
    used to take it but has issued rules to Waste Collectors not to do so
    any more. Thank you.

• Suzanne Brooks says:

I know someone whose work generated a lot of shredded paper. She would put it into large bin bags and use it for the horses in her stables,

13. chrystal dodge says:

How to recycle used rotary slide trays

robdodge@frontier.com

14. SUE ECCLESON says:

I HAVE A LOT OF OLD CUTLERY PLUS OLD KITCH KNIEFS .DOES ANYWHERE RECYCLE THESE THING .

15. Marian says:

We are also a charity. Many who come put their old stationery in our stationery cupboard, now we are over-flowing with folders, lever files, filing boxes and old projector acetates. Wonder where it would be useful, or where it can be recycled.

• sarah says:

If you have stuff to get rid of then its always worth posting on either of your local FREEGLE or FREECYCLE websites. You might be surprised at how quickly many folk will relieve you of all your stationery etc.

16. sarah says:

Hi all
    I have a load of old box files that have definitely seen better days. Any of your great ideas would be much appreciated. Sarah

17. Amanda says:

Any ideas on what to do with loads of hotwheels and other assorted miniature toy cars? Would rather use them to make something new rather than donate or sell. I have heard of putting an USB Drive in the car but any other ideas?

18. S wood says:

Hello, I’ve got quite a few jewellery gift boxes which I hve receive over the years, and they are just gathering dust. Any idea if I can recycle them anywhere or donate them anywhere. All shapes and sizes just don’t want them anymore!

Please email me!
    samantha.beardsmore@hotmail.co.uk

19. Craig says:

We have a large number of left over stress ball like objects (shaped as little men) that were created for a promotional campaign and are no longer needed. Any ideas on good ways to reuse, or redistribute these?

20. Jasmine says:

I just received a huge stack of numbers from a gas station before all the stations went digital. I’d say they’re about 18×12 clear plexiglass with one huge number on them (for gas prices). I kept them thinking I’d come up with something wonderfully creative and haven’t yet. Any suggestions?

• Anonymous says:

Use to count steps, on the foot board. Also can be used for address numbers either as usual or on a stand up painted board, sequential flower pots, vertical wind chime. Also around a Childs room or class, if you have them on sequence. Maybe even on a post in front of car ’1′ and car ’2′ if you have a side by side driveway.

21. Nicky says:

I have loads of music cassettes that are good quality – some blank but mainly have music I have recorded on them which can obviously be recorded over. I am reluctant to throw them away – are they of use to anyone?

22. Timmy Onayemi says:

I have just received approval to work as an agent for a recycling firm to find Used Radiographic Testing Films from Non-Destructive Testing.

Could you identify the industry and companies having such waste for recycling in Thailand, where the recycling firm will pay to ship them out in tons.

It’s cleaner in the country where such is left waste and a good source of foreign direct investment too.

¨Helping each other in our little endeavours transform us into a chain of lives giving life to one another forever¨

23. Carla says:

Any uses for old stained sink liners (e.g. rubbermaid sink mat)? Still very sturdy…just super ugly.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks