How can I reuse or recycle old photographic slides?

We’ve had an email from Karen, asking:

Do you have any suggestions on how I can recycle 35mm slides in wallets?

I suspect that on a crafty level, they could be used in similar ways to photo negatives and the like but as Karen is a Environment & Waste Management Officer at a university, I suspect she might have more than can easily be reused – so does anyone know if there are any ways to actually recycle them?

Any other slide-centric reuse suggestions?

(Photo by Hutschi)

household, items, technology

242 Responses to “How can I reuse or recycle old photographic slides?”

1. Carol says:

Help! Boxes and boxes of family slides and slides of trips in Midwest. Most in carousels. Hate to dump, but no one in family wants them.

• Steve Munger says:

Hello there. Do you still have the slides? I live collecting old slides, they are fine capsules to me and helps a person to continue to live. My contact number is 941-592-4149. I’ll pay shipping costs. Thanx.

2. Rita says:

Hi,

Have a few hundred slides of plants, some travel in England. Plants are in BC, Canada.

Can anyone use them?

• Kevin Wood says:

Hello Rita

Yes, I’d love to have your slides, please.
      I digitize them but still keep them after.

Can pay for postage and packaging, it would be via PayPal, if you have an account. I live in Derby, England.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regrds.
      Kevin

• Kevin says:

Hello Rita

Yes, I’d love to have your slides, please.
      I also digitize them but still keep them after.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regrds.
      Kevin

3. Carol Hodge says:

Just went through about 10 carousel trays of old slides. Picked out a few to digitize, but would like to find a home for the discards.

4. Kevin Wood says:

Hello Carol

Yes, I’d love to have your slides that you’ve discarded ones, please.
    I also digitize them but still keep them after.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regrds.
    Kevin

• Helen says:

Hi Kevin, I have some old slides – how do I get them to you?

• ALLISON TRIMBLE says:

Hi Kevin, are you still interested in old slides, I have a lot from my parents, mostly scenery of England, Ireland, Norway, Switzerland, Greece and Italy. They are currently loose in 2 shoe boxes. I also have about 16 grey storage boxes if you want those too. Thanks so much, Allison Trimble (based in Northern Ireland,UK)

• Anonymous says:

Hello Allison

Yes, I’d love to have your slides, please.
        I also digitize them but still keep them after.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regrds.
        Kevin

• Daviid says:

Hello Kevin,

Do you want empty 35mm cassettes in their case? I have 44 twin cases .

Regards,

David

• Kevin says:

Hello David

No I’m sorry I don’t 35mm cassettes in their case.

Thanks for the offer of them

Regards.
        Kevin

5. John Clapton says:

If anyone wants some old 35mm slides I have approximately 150 to give away.
    Most are just family pictures and scenery in England circa. 1980′s.

Let me know if you want them?

6. Kevin Wood says:

Hello John

Yes, I’d like to have your old slides, please.
    Will pay the postage for them via Paypal if you have an account.

Regards.

Kevin in Derby, England

• Josephine says:

My dad has loads of old slides. Mostly architectural. Are you still collecting slides?

• Kevin Wood says:

Hello Josephine

Yes, I’d love to have your slides, please.
        I digitize them but still keep them after.

Can pay for postage and packaging, it would be via PayPal if you have an account. I live in Derby, England.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regrds.
        Kevin

• Penny says:

Hi Kevin my mum who lives in Durham is downsizing and has 6 boxes of slides (Kodachrome transparencies) to get rid of -mainlyscenes/landscapes: Yorkshire, County Durham/northeast, Lancashire, Derbyshire, Lake District. I’m currently with her but will be travelling back to beeston Notts tomorrow (weather permitting!) which might make it easier for me to get them to you if you are interested and able to reply before then please?

7. Mark Hickman says:

Kevin
    I have boxes of old slides – my parents family photos going back to the 1950′s. Most of them are probably mountaineering, sailing, skiing, travel etc.
    May I ask why you are collecting old slides and what do you do with them.
    Regards
    Mark

• Anonymous says:

Kevin,

Are you still collecting old slides?

Thanks,

EB

• Kevin Wood says:

Hello EB

Yes, I’d love to have your slides, please.
        I digitize them but still keep them after.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regrds.
        Kevin

8. Adele Green says:

Hi Kevin

I’m going through my dad’s old slides from 1950′s to 1980s.
    Covering landscapes, buildings & family from rural N.S.W. , Victoria, S.A. and W.A.
    Are you interested in about 2000 slides from Australia?

Thanks
    Adele

9. Susan says:

Hi Kevin,
    I have about 3,000+ slides I inherited from my father, and after digitizing them, I am not sure what to do with them. I feel bad throwing them away. Most are scenery shots of Death Valley, California, Glacier Park in Alberta, Canada, and many mountain pictures taken in northern California (which is where I live). Are you interested in them?

Regards,
    Susan

10. Kevin Wood says:

Hello Susan

Yes, I’m very interested in your Dad’s old slides.
    Sounds like your father loved taking photo’s.
    I’m in England so the cost will be a fair bit, but I can pay for the postage via Paypal.

Look forward to your reply.

Regards.
    Kevin

• Anonymous says:

Dear Kevin, I live in London and am in the process of downsizing. We have literally hundreds of slides taken by my late stepfather, who adored nature, mainly photos taken in Greece but also in other parts of the world, such as Iceland and Jordan. Are you still an avid collector of slides? I would be thrilled if so! Kindest regards, Stammy

11. Penny says:

Hello Kevin I have 500 or so slides taken by my uncle in the 1960s and 70s of Yorkshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, Lake District, Durham and the northeast that I’d like to find a home/new owner for. Would you like them. I live beeston, Notts. I left a message a couple of weeks ago but wonder if you missed it?

12. Barbara says:

Hi – I have hundreds of slides as my father was a photographer, all from
    1950s onwards, lots of local ones, Bristol area – contact me if interested please

13. Sarah says:

I have hundreds of slides. Trips to Europe as well as the Uk.
    Would anyone like them?

14. Kevin Wood says:

Hello All

Yes, I’m very interested in all your old slides.
    Sounds like your loved ones liked to take photo’s.

I’m in England, but I can pay for the postage via Paypal.
    Please let me know if you still want to give them away.

I will send you my email so that I can pass my address on to you.

Look forward to your reply.

Regards.
    Kevin

• Sarah says:

Thats great Kevin. Thanks

• Stammy Cottakis says:

Dear Kevin, good to know you are interested in the slides. Please might I have your email address so we can organise it? Best wishes Stammy

• Karen Lievre says:

Hi Kevin,

I have some of my late father’s many slides that he took for reference pictures as he was a keen painter. Most of them date from the 70′s and 80′s, and are of many areas around London and the UK, I-O-W, Norfolk, Thames valley. They are all very well labelled in boxes, he was very good at that! Please contact me with your details so we can arrange postage etc.

Regards,

Karen

15. ANDREA E JOHNSON says:

I saw an old window with these glued on it. Looked like stained glass. Also keeps them out for viewing instead of closed up. Enjoy them. You could use tacky gum and do around the edges of a set of Windows, or on a door with glass. Good luck.

16. Elizabeth Painter says:

I have a lot of travel slides from Spain and Latin American countries. Some are very good. I need to find somebody who is interested in having them. They date from the ’90s.

17. Patsy Shipsey says:

I’ve just been going through my late brothers slides. I’ve kept half of them would you like the rest. Slides of family, Dumfries, London and Wiltshire. None of them are labeled.

18. Alison Bunker says:

Loads of old slides. Does Kevin still collect? I have just discovered this thread so unfortunately they are now all loose in cardboard boxes.

19. Alison Bunker says:

Have found a load more in the wallets to donate if Kevin is for real …