How can I reuse or recycle old photographic slides?

We’ve had an email from Karen, asking:

Do you have any suggestions on how I can recycle 35mm slides in wallets?

I suspect that on a crafty level, they could be used in similar ways to photo negatives and the like but as Karen is a Environment & Waste Management Officer at a university, I suspect she might have more than can easily be reused – so does anyone know if there are any ways to actually recycle them?

Any other slide-centric reuse suggestions?

(Photo by Hutschi)

household, items, technology

213 Responses to “How can I reuse or recycle old photographic slides?”

1. Carol says:

Help! Boxes and boxes of family slides and slides of trips in Midwest. Most in carousels. Hate to dump, but no one in family wants them.

• Steve Munger says:

Hello there. Do you still have the slides? I live collecting old slides, they are fine capsules to me and helps a person to continue to live. My contact number is 941-592-4149. I’ll pay shipping costs. Thanx.

2. Rita says:

Hi,

Have a few hundred slides of plants, some travel in England. Plants are in BC, Canada.

Can anyone use them?

• Kevin Wood says:

Hello Rita

Yes, I’d love to have your slides, please.
      I digitize them but still keep them after.

Can pay for postage and packaging, it would be via PayPal, if you have an account. I live in Derby, England.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regrds.
      Kevin

3. Carol Hodge says:

Just went through about 10 carousel trays of old slides. Picked out a few to digitize, but would like to find a home for the discards.

4. Kevin Wood says:

Hello Carol

Yes, I’d love to have your slides that you’ve discarded ones, please.
    I also digitize them but still keep them after.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regrds.
    Kevin

5. John Clapton says:

If anyone wants some old 35mm slides I have approximately 150 to give away.
    Most are just family pictures and scenery in England circa. 1980′s.

Let me know if you want them?

6. Kevin Wood says:

Hello John

Yes, I’d like to have your old slides, please.
    Will pay the postage for them via Paypal if you have an account.

Regards.

Kevin in Derby, England

7. Mark Hickman says:

Kevin
    I have boxes of old slides – my parents family photos going back to the 1950′s. Most of them are probably mountaineering, sailing, skiing, travel etc.
    May I ask why you are collecting old slides and what do you do with them.
    Regards